Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 29, 2012
Tulsa outlasts UAB, 49-42
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- Alex Singleton scored three touchdowns, including the 6-yard game-winner, as Tulsa outlasted winless Alabama-Birmingham 49-42 Saturday.
Cody Green passed for two scores and rushed for another for the Golden Hurricane (4-1, 2-0 Conference USA), who led 42-28 going into the fourth quarter.
The Blazers (0-4, 0-1) then scored twice within two minutes to tie it with 9:26 remaining. After a Tulsa fumble, Darrin Reaves capped a 51-yard drive with a 3-yard TD run with 11:12 left. On UAB's next possession, Jamarcus Nelson caught a 50-yard pass from Austin Brown.
DeAundre Brown intercepted an Austin Brown pass at the UAB 31 to set up the winning drive. Singleton, who rushed on five of the six plays, scored with 5:16 left.
The Blazers drove from their 19 to the 46 before Austin Brown's fumble was recovered by Tulsa's Mitchell Osborne with 1:28 left.
Brown passed for 337 yards and three touchdowns for the Blazers, but UAB was held to just one yard rushing on 35 carries due to seven sacks by the Golden Hurricane defense.
Cody Green completed 23-of-39 passes for 237 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He also rushed for 47 yards and a score on five attempts. Trey Watts had 93 yards and a score on just 10 carries, and H-back Willie Carter had a breakout game with seven catches for 71 yards and a TD.
• Tulsa improved its career record in Conference USA, since joining the league in 2005, to 42-16.
• Tulsa is now 19-6 against C-USA East Division foes, including 4-0 against UAB.
• On Tulsa's final scoring drive to break a 42-42 tie, Alex Singleton carried 5 times for 32 yards on a 31-yard drive (another ball carrier was stopped for a one-yard loss).
• Senior defensive end Cory Dorris started his team-high 42nd career game in 43 games played.
• Alex Singleton had his eighth career multiple TD game and third this season.
• Singleton had his fourth career 3 TD game and the second of the season.
• Cody Green scored Tulsa's sixth touchdown of the game with a 45-yard run for his first rushing touchdown of the year. He had just nine yards on 16 carries coming into the game.
• Saturday marked the third of five games this year that Tulsa has scored at least 35 points in the first half. Tulsa also scored 35 points vs. Tulane and 42 points against Nicholls State in the first half.
• Defensive tackle Daeshon Bufford had a career-high 5 tackles-for-loss for minus-30 yards.
• Quarterback Cody Green had his third 200+ passing game of the season and the fourth game in which he threw two touchdowns.
• Tulsa had its third game of double-digit tackles for lost yardage with a season-best 14 for minus-86 yards. The previous double-figure TFL games came at Iowa State and against Nicholls State, both with 10 TFLs.
7-Day Free Trial: Get premium access to InsideTulsaSports.com!