Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
March 13, 2014
Tulsa wears down Tulane
EL PASO, Texas (AP) - James Woodard scored 24 points and second-seeded Tulsa used a pair of second-half runs to take a 70-49 victory over seventh-seeded Tulane on Thursday in a Conference USA tournament quarterfinal.
Rashad Smith added 13 points and D'Andre Wright 10 for the Golden Hurricane (19-12), who won their ninth straight game to advance to a Friday semifinal.
Tulsa used a 12-1 run sparked by eight straight points by Woodard to take a 46-33 lead with 13:43 remaining. The Green Wave got back within six before the Hurricane outscored them 22-4, a run that included 10 points from Woodard, to lead 70-46 with 1:50 remaining.
Tulane (17-16) was led by Jay Hook with 21 points, Jonathan Stark with 14, and Tre Drye with 12 rebounds. Louis Dabney, who came in averaging a team-leading 15.8 points per game, had just three points for Tulane after suffering a lower-back injury in the first half.
TULSA POSTGAME NOTES
• Sophomore guard Shaquille Harrison made his 64th consecutive start.
• Sophomore guard James Woodard has scored double-digit points in 24 straight games and 27 games overall this season.
• Woodard has scored 20-plus points in five games this season.
• With the win, Tulsa has advanced to the C-USA semifinals for the sixth time -- all six in the last seven years.
• Tulsa won its ninth straight game, the longest win streak since the 1999-00 season.